Thursday, July 3, 2008

Money... I want!

About 8 years ago my step mother said to me, "I am my stuff. I am my money." What she was saying is that without her 'stuff' she'd be nothing. She was worthless. Are we our money? Does it really provide what it is that we desire? Power, prestige, lots of stuff, freedom? Or is it just paper or coinage and our thoughts about it give it perceived value and some mystical power?

The thought that keeps running through my mind is...

"It's not about money. None of it is about money. Money is only one form of exchange."

A young man said to me the other day 'I'd prefer "humane" profit, but hey, profit gives me the ability to behave humanely." Does it take profit to behave humanely? Or are our thoughts the deciding factor in all things ultimately?

All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become.” ~Buddha

In the video interview below Bryon Katie says to her student,

"Turn it around. Say that again using the word thought instead of money (profit)."

So turning the young man's statement around, "I'd prefer 'humane' thought, but hey, thought gives me the ability to behave humanely." At the core - it is our thoughts that create our world. Personally and globally. Not money.

Seems we always see greener pastures elsewhere. Putting things outside of ourselves. I hear friends saying, "I'd be happier if only I had.... (fill in the blank)." Most often when the elusive 'happy maker' is obtained, the happiness gained is fleeting. Then we're back to our old selves again, searching for the next 'happy maker' to fulfill our desires.

Many of us put much of ourselves and our time into thinking about money... getting more, keeping it, spending it, not having enough, having none. 'Loving money' or 'hating money'. Both fall into the same category since we are expending self for it.

"Whoever loves money never has money enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income. This too is meaningless." ~Ecclesiastes 5:10

What would happen if we put as much thought and time into 'What can be done for the greater good? For the Earth, society, community, family... Creator.'

"Full of love for all things in the world, practicing virtue, in order to benefit others, this person alone is happy." ~Buddha

Or self... wholing (balancing/healing/loving) self.

“You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.”~Buddha

Miracles. True Happiness. Peace. More?

What wonderful things can you imagine?

~Bonnee

Byron Katie, interviews one of her students about his beliefs regarding money. This video is funny and uplifting and may change the way you view money.


For more about Bryon Katie: http://www.thework.com/

No comments: