Thursday, December 18, 2008

12/18 The 12 Days Of Christmas, John Denver

'The 12 Days Of Christmas' John Denver & The Muppets

Wonderful, happy and fun! I love this clever rendition, makes me laugh and smile. Used to watch the Muppets' Christmas specials every year, so is a walk down memory lane for me. Hope you enjoy it.

John Denver, Song: The 12 Days of Christmas, TV special: A Christmas Together with John Denver and The Muppets (1979). Nominated for an Emmy and winner of the Director's Guild Award for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Musical Variety. If you'd like to own a copy on DVD you can buy it at missedmovies.com. Words: vary widely, Music: Traditional English, 18th Century carol.

 Christmas Bling photo by Light. ©Bonnee Klein Gilligan. All rights reserved.

'The 12 Days of Christmas' is traditionally attributed to England but may have a French origin. Date of first performance is unknown, however it was sung as early as 16th century in Europe and Scandinavia. The chant  may have had it's origins as a 'memory and forfeits' game where the person who forgets the verse has to pay penalty of a kiss or sweet.

The actual 12 days of Christmas are usually December 26 through January 6 in England. Sometimes Christmas Day is included as one of the 12 days, sometimes not.  Most often the 12 days are attributed to the twelve days from the birth of Christ (Christmas, December 25) to the coming of the Magi (Epiphany, January 6, or the Twelfth Day). You can learn more about the song at Hymns and Carols of Christmas or wikipedia.

 

Leather bag by Bonnee Klein Gilligan       My 12 Days of Christmas - This year the Holidays are very tight financially so I decided to make all my gifts and pamper myself while I'm at it. Went to a local art gallery, saw a lovely leather bag I would have loved to buy. Its' cost $1,500. Rather then grumbling about the price, it inspired me to create my own and one for a friend too. Mine is still in the works, photo right is the other one.

This year my Christmas will be filled with wonderful treats, songs, love and things which make me smile. Just for fun, wrote about my inexpensive indulgences to the tune of the 12 Days of Christmas. It goes something like this...

  • On the first day of Christmas, I made this gift for me, a handmade leather satchel
  • On the second day of Christmas, I whipped this up for me, two pecan pies and a handmade leather satchel
  • On the third day of Christmas, I'll do this just for me, three pedicures, two pecan pies and a handmade leather satchel 
  • On the fourth day of Christmas, I'll do this just for me, four manicures, three pedicures, two pecan pies and a handmade leather satchel 
  • On the fifth day of Christmas, I bought a gift for me, five chocolate bars, four manicures, three pedicures, two pecan pies and a handmade leather satchel 
  • On the sixth day of Christmas, I'll make this just for me, six gourmet dinners, five chocolate bars, four manicures, three pedicures, two pecan pies and a handmade leather satchel 
  • On the seventh day of Christmas, I gave this gift to me, seven candles burning, six gourmet dinners, five chocolate bars, four manicures, three pedicures, two pecan pies and a handmade leather satchel 
  • On the eighth day of Christmas, I promised this to me, eight fragrant baths, seven candles burning, six gourmet dinners, five chocolate bars, four manicures, three pedicures, two pecan pies and a handmade leather satchel 
  • On the ninth day of Christmas I made a treat for me, nine hot spiced ciders, eight fragrant baths, seven candles burning, six gourmet dinners, five chocolate bars, four manicures, three pedicures, two pecan pies and a handmade leather satchel 
  • On the tenth day of Christmas, I whipped this up for me, ten oatmeal cookies, nine hot spiced ciders, eight fragrant baths, seven candles burning, six gourmet dinners, five chocolate bars, four manicures, three pedicures, two pecan pies and a handmade leather satchel 
  • On the eleventh day of Christmas, I promised this to me, eleven crackling fires, ten oatmeal cookies, nine hot spiced ciders, eight fragrant baths, seven candles burning, six gourmet dinners, five chocolate bars, four manicures, three pedicures, two pecan pies and a handmade leather satchel 
  • On the twelfth day of Christmas, I bought a gift for me, twelve lovely flowers, eleven crackling fires, ten oatmeal cookies, nine hot spiced ciders, eight fragrant baths, seven candles burning, six gourmet dinners, five chocolate bars, four manicures, three pedicures, two pecan pies and a handmade leather satchel  

Have a wonderful Holiday! May your days be filled with treasures!

John Denver John Denver given name Henry John Deutschendorf, Jr.  (December 31, 1943 – October 12, 1997), born in Roswell, New Mexico was a singer, songwriter, performer, actor, environmentalist and humanitarian.  At eleven he was given his grandmother's guitar, took guitar lessons and joined the boy's choir. At twenty he pursued his dream career and the rest is history. You can read more about him at: johndenver.com or wikipedia.

The photo above left of Christmas Bling is by Light. Light Traveler (August 1946 - July 2003)  photographer, Reiki Master/Teacher, spiritual seeker and beautiful loving Spirit. You can see more and purchase his beautiful photography at Light Traveler's gallery.

~Bonnee

No comments: